Tuesday, April 26, 2016

URBAN WIFE






Urban Wife

 

You told me; soon as you got home you would change,

We have two children together, and now there’s a third one on the way,

I know you call it working, but every nine to five come with a receipt,

I’m tired of being afraid for you; I’m not trying to see you wrapped up in a sheet,

What about your children, aren’t you tired of seeing them behind a pane of glass,

The last time you came home from prison you told me they tried to rape you,

I told you you’re home now that pain will pass,

You just got home again, and still to the streets you’re a slave,

Feens are junkies to you, even worse you’re a feen to the pay,

I love you, but I can’t live like this our children deserve more,

I’m not speaking of money,

No daddy going to jail, No daddy laying dead face down on the floor,

These people are not you friends and damn sure, not your family,

“In other news today two men lay dead in a drugs related robbery”,

I see your handy work on the news today, is that taking care of your family,

I can’t do this anymore; your son asked me are you going to die,

After putting the children to bed,

I sit up at night holding my stomach while I cry,

I’m almost finished with school; I want you to move out with me,

I don’t care what you say; this is not a place I want my children to be,

I love you, but if you let these streets eat you alive what am I suppose to do,

I refused to sit back waiting for the day that you die,

My children seeing your body on the evening news,

I’m all packed up, school’s over I’m moving, I’ve got a career in DC,

Three children now, a career and you?

Back in prison now, still writing, wishing you would have listened to me…..




Illustration: The Viofem By: Salaam Muhammad
Poem By: Slow Poet

No comments:

Post a Comment